Music composition and music production is not something that can be described in a few articles. There are many great books on the subjects, so I reduced to compose this list of all the books I recommend on various topics, from music theory, through music composition and production, to music in media such as games and film. This entire “resources article” will be updated over time.
Over time, this list will be updated. Last update: 30.08.2019
This list utilizes affiliate links.
- Music Theory for Dummies, Holly Day, Michael Pilhofer
- Music Theory for Computer Musicians, Michael Hewitt
- Music Composition for Dummies, Holly Day, Scott Jarrett
- Music Composition for Computer Musicians, Michael Hewitt
- Musical Composition: Craft and Art, Alan Belkin
- Fundamentals of Musical Composition, Arnold Schoenberg
Harmony and Counterpoint
- Harmony for Computer Musicians, Michael Hewitt
- Hollywood Harmony, Frank Lehman
- Contemporary Counterpoint: Theory & Application, Beth Denisch
Orchestration and Instrumentation
- The Study of Orchestration, Samuel Adler
- Principles of Orchestration, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
- The Mixing Engineer’s Handbook, Bobby Owsinski
Video Games Music
- Writing Interactive Music for Video Games: A Composer’s Guide, Michael Sweet
- A Composer’s Guide to Game Music, A Composer’s Guide to Game Music, Winifred Phillips
Photo source: Pixabay: https://pixabay.com/photos/books-bookstore-book-reading-1204029/
Don't forget to become a fan on Facebook and subscribe to new posts via RSS or via email.